With more than 130 programs offered each year, students at St. Thomas have an abundance of opportunities to immerse themselves in cultures around the world. From J-term courses to semester and year-long programs, students
from any academic discipline can find a program that fits. Options to study in over 40 countries and a nationally
ranked study abroad office puts St. Thomas in the Top 10 for highest percentage of students who study abroad each
year. More than 70 percent of each class plans to travel overseas by graduation.
Studying abroad affords students one of the most unique opportunities to become global citizens during their college experience. Students have learning opportunities they could not replicate in a traditional classroom. With options to study on nearly six different continents, students become immersed in cultures all over the world.
A new program is the Rome CORE semester, which allows students to fulfill four core requirements at the St. Thomas
campus in Rome. One J-term course brought students to Botswana where they had the chance to learn how art
enabled people to cope with, and show their resistance, to Apartheid adn the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Semester at Sea
gives students the opportunity to study on a ship while visiting 10-13 countries during the fall and spring semesters.
Studying abroad has become one of the most impactful semesters for students during their time at St. Thomas, allowing for unique friendships to form with fellow Tommies and faculty from around the world.
1. Heidi Hill shares her Tommie pride at a waterfall while studying abroad in Plitvice, Croatia, during the summer
of 2016 for an environmental health course.
2. Mary Naughton goes for a wild ride in Pamukkale, Turkey, during her spring semester abroad in Istanbul, Turkey.
3. Students from the London Business Semester pose in front of the London Eye.
4. Landon Crippes takes a selfie with his J-term Global Health class in Uganda.
5. Soud lyten rides a camel during her fall semester in Cairo, Egypt.
6. Jacob Charbonneau takes an epic selfie on the moutain top of Capri, Italy.
All photos submitted by students.
Page: Allie Vognild